Opening Acts

>I've got to support and echo Paul's comments.  I was in the front row at all
>three of the west coast shows.  While the opening acts were not what I was
>there for (Who could give a shit about anyone in that setting who wasn't
>Pete?), none of the three crowds had too tough a time being polite and
>waiting it out.

I would say this: the opening acts aren't meant to be as good as the
headliner (what kind of moron would book someone who would eclipse the
star?). It's a great way to discover a new artist and get in the mood for
the main attraction. So what's the point in getting upset about them? The
worst thing you could possibly do to them is ignore them...worse than insults.
I've found too that while there may be a close-to-the-stage crowd during the
first act, it generally thins out a bit between performers...so why be
uncomfortable during the musician you don't like? Go have a beer (or
whatever) and after he/she's done you can squeeze your way up front in
plenty of time for the headliner. You'll be more comfortable and relaxed
when your band is on, and you won't have to "suffer" through a performance
you don't enjoy.
So you see, a few of us on the East Coast have some Californian attitudes,
and in fact embrace them joyfully.

                   Cheers                   ML