"Backwards" Riff on LAL

At 1.16-1.18 of Magic Bus as heard on the expanded, glorious LAL, one hears
a light trill on Pete`s guitar -  one of his typical, flamenco-style
flourishes, played at a moderate volume. On the original LAL, at the same
point in the song, we hear however a longer, somewhat louder guitar passage
that sounds as if it`s played backwards and has an engaging rhythm to it. I
recall that when the original LAL was released people into rock would say
knowingly of this passage, "Oh that`s Pete`s guitar recorded backwards,
isn`t that cool?". ( Today they`d say, "Hey that`s WAY COOL!"). So, what`s
the lowdown here: was the original passage, as released on the original LAL,
really played backwards? If so, why did the band want to do that, seeing as
LAL was supposed to be primal Who, live and unadulterated (although we now
know, thanks to Generations magazine, that the truth is somewhat nuanced in
this respect)? Finally, why did the band or Astley/ Macpherson elect to
return (presumably) to the original simple riff played by Pete when they
prepared the expanded LAL? After all, they didn`t reverse the re-recorded
vocal parts added in 1970 to the original LAL in the studio to buttress
weaknesses in some of the vocal parts.......Gary M.