Re: Teenage rock connoiseurs of the 90's

In a message dated 96-05-02 08:51:07 EDT, cuda340@tribeca.ios.com (Tesco Vee)
writes:

> Teenagers in the 80's would not turn on the radio and
>hear anything which was sincere.  I don't know about anyone else, but in
>1984 (I was 14,) I had no interest in being a Madonna wannabe, or to learn
>to moonwalk like MJ.  At least today, you can turn on a top 100 radio
>station, and hear the likes of Pearl Jam and Bush, whom play music that, in

IMO, there was more of a division, or dichotomy of pop and rock in the late
70s/early to mid '80s. You had candy-apple hits stations playing MJ and
Madonna, etc., and you had AOR stations playing Van Halen, Led Zeppelin and
the like with its new music coming from Motley Crue and Bon Jovi. Today, the
pop station (or what's left of it) is the alternative station that plays
Bush, Pearl Jam, STP as well as some of the lighter stuff (nothing's coming
to mind as an example!), and there are AOR stations that play "oldies" - LZ,
Van Halen, etc. The hits station of yesteryear would play MJ and Madonna
back-to-back with Oasis without blinking an eye.

I remember a rock station in 1983 playing Judas Priest then a Kenny
Rogers/Dolly Parton duet. That was it for that station. A week before they
had played The Real Me. The bus driver turned it up.

>at least the bands being shoved in their faces on MTV are decent.  Perhaps
>they would listen to The Who for historical reference, such as Eddie
>Vedder's influences, but at least, unlike in the 80's, they wouldn't have
>to listen to older bands out of necessity.

It seems funny to think about this. We seemed to have crossed a threshold
that bands like the Who, Rolling Stones, etc. crossed in the 60s. The
indelible influence of Chuck Berry, Howlin Wolf, Mose Allison, etc., can be
heard in the music of the 60s bands. Now, the second wave (there's probably
been more; just making a point) of influence is passed on to Oasis, Pearl Jam
and others. I remember Kevin DuBrow saying he loved the Who, WGFA in
particular; but I certainly don't hear the influence in lyrics, style, music
in Quiet Riot (not that I've listened to them since junior high) -- unless
that's the LA style of style absorption and homage.

Litgo