Teenage rock connoiseurs of the 90's

        In light of the many comments about what young people listen to
today, and MTV, etc., this is my personal observation.  As a teenager in
the 80's, most of the music my friends and I listened to that was truly
"rock and roll," was either old, or found on a small, independent labels.
Most albums found on the Billboard charts at that time were really
lame--Madonna was in her prime, so was Micheal Jackson, and the only music
that came close to rock were cheesy poser metal bands, such as Poison,
Motley Crue, etc.  Teenagers in the 80's would not turn on the radio and
hear anything which was sincere.  I don't know about anyone else, but in
1984 (I was 14,) I had no interest in being a Madonna wannabe, or to learn
to moonwalk like MJ.  At least today, you can turn on a top 100 radio
station, and hear the likes of Pearl Jam and Bush, whom play music that, in
the 80's, would only be played on college radio stations.  I think it would
do teenagers of the 90's some good to hear The Who, but if they never do,
at least the bands being shoved in their faces on MTV are decent.  Perhaps
they would listen to The Who for historical reference, such as Eddie
Vedder's influences, but at least, unlike in the 80's, they wouldn't have
to listen to older bands out of necessity.
                                                                        Stacey