3/26 JAE show

Well, I finally saw JAE live and it was great.  The mix, as usual, was
imperfect, but the rest of the show was just unbelievable.

Venue:  The Iron Horse, Northampton, MA

Opening Act:  Joni's Butterfly, as usual.  They were pretty good; though
I had a Tiger-stadium seat which prevented me from seeing the guitarist
without excessive craning of the neck.  The stage was also tiny, and the
JAE band's equipment was already on the stage (including Steve Luongo's
15-piece (I may be off by a couple) drum kit).  As a result, the singer
had to do his gen-x 90's style dancing in a space of about 5'x5'.  The
drummer was so-so, while the bassist was quite good.  Anyway, I wish 'em
well.  Aside:  after the JAE show, outside, someone asked where the name
of the band comes from.  Apparently, Joni's Butterfly is a brand name of
a women's vibrator.  End aside.

There was then an hour-long break; finally, at about 8:45, the show started.

Band:  John Entwistle, bass, Steve Luongo, drums, Godfrey Townsend,
guitar, and Alan St. Jon, kybds.

Set list:
Heaven and Hell
Had Enough
Success Story
Trick of the Light
Bridges under the Water
The Real Me
Love Doesn't Last
Boris the Spider
Life after Love
My Wife
Last Song
Summertime Blues
Encore (first and only):
Shakin' All Over

Annotated set list:

Heaven and Hell:
pretty much sounded the same as at Leeds; the lyrics were hard to hear,
as on most non-"Rock" songs.

Had Enough:
really rocked; great song.

John then exchanged his Buzzard for the 8-string bass for the late-70's
Who songs:

Success Story:
John looked rather disillusioned/unhappy during this song.  hMMM.
Memorable quote of the day #1: "We're only using half of our equipment".
Thankfully, add I.

Trick of the Light:
Absolutely superb.  In the Bass Player interview, John says, <paraphrased
from memory> "Let's just say I know damn well how to make any band sound
like the Who".  Given the right drummer, he undoubtedly can.  Trick of
the Light was the first really great song of the show.
Exit 8-string, return Buzzard.

Bridges under the Water:
Alan took vocals, and John slowed down; during this song, he actually
sometimes had time to pull his hand away from the bass and wipe his forehead.
The song sounded almost reggae-ish.

At this point there was a rather extended break during which Godfrey
Townsend was trying to fix something about his guitar set-up; John noted
that a $50000 stage rig can break down because of a bad $2 lead; when the
break was taking longer and longer, and people started screaming out more
and more obscure songs (someone actually screamed, Doctor Doctor), Steve
told a joke, a really bad joke which I'll repeat here, since I love
really bad jokes:
"Once an Indian was walking along a road, and a farmer was driving and
offered to pick him up.  "Where are you goin'?" the farmer asked. -- "To
town" -- "Well, I'm not goin' to town today, but I'm gonna go there in
the morning, but you can spend the night at my place, and in the morning
we'll go to town." -- "OK," the Indian said.  When they got to the farm,
the farmer said to the Indian, go sleep in the barn.  The Indian was
insulted but slept there anyway, and decided in the morning to get the
farmer back.  The farmer came to the barn in the morning and asked the
Indian how his night was.  The Indian said, "Well, I couldn't really
sleep much, since your horse kept talkin' to me." -- "I didn't know my
horse could talk!"  At this point, the Indian threw his voice and the
horse 'said', "mornin' farmer".  "Not only that," continued the Indian,
"but your cows can talk, too," and threw his voice and one of the cows
'said' "Mooornin' farmer".  "Not only that," continued the Indian, "but
you sheep can talk, too." -- "Well, don't you believe a word they said!"

By this time, unbelievably, the guitar was still not fixed, and Godfrey
said, "You should have added a couple more animals."

Finally, they got to "The Real Me", which was the usual lightning-quick
performance from John.

Love Doesn't Last:  forgettable, I thought.

Boris the Spider:  Here, not being able to hear the lyrics was a bit more
than annoying, and there was an extra instrumental section which included
for the most part, alternating between two notes--odd, and not your usual
solo.

Life After Love:  pretty exciting.

My Wife:  simply superb.

Last Song:  I think this was my favorite on the studio "Rock", yet,
oddly, it didn't translate at all well to the stage.

Summertime Blues:  Included John's usual basso profundo lines, and was
very good. see note at end.

Encore:
Shakin' All Over:  Godfrey seemed at home on this one; and the
five-minute-or-so drum/bass interplay was mindblowing.  If they don't
release this on a live album, it will be a true shame.

Autograph session:  huge line; I got my L@L booklet signed and the Who
Sell Out booklet, on the back cover, under the Rotosound symbol.  I'd
also brought a couple of other things but they were limiting it to two
items.

Just a great show, hope to see a live album!

Final note:  as I was waiting for my bus, I went into a convenience store
and heard, much to my displeasure, a country version of Summertime blues,
which seemed to be copying the Who's version at least as much as the
original; complete with pedal steel and all.  Ugh.

--LP.