Re: IOW on the CBC last night.

}On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Shane Matheson wrote:
}
}This highlighted the paradox I find with those big festivals further where
}they have Joni Mitchell & Joan Baez doing that hippy "I love you, You love
}me, We're a happy family" type stuff which was pretty much in line with
}the audience's tendencies, then you had The Who, who were pretty much the
}antithesis of that and were ready to beat the snot out of anyone that
}walked on stage and played music that was meant to intimidate the
}audience.
}

Except that at this festival (IOW), Joni Mitchell was so ticked by the snotty
audience reactions that she complained to them about their lack of respect.
Stuff about how the artists were up there giving, and, "You're acting like
tourists, man!"  It sounds a little like they were waiting for the Who...

Besides, even though Joni wrote "Woodstock", she didn't make a career out of
Barneyesque hippy songs.  As I recall, around that time, the bulk of her
material was about problems with relationships with men.  And Joan Baez did
a lot of protest songs, too--and I've never seen a purple dragon and a bunch
of prepubescents sing "Joe Hill" yet...