Re: Quick One Stereo vs. Mono Debate

Luke, re:

> had asked him why Astley did not decide to remix AQO from the multitrack
masters... Kozinn also said Astley made it sound like the stereo masters for
AQO were made after the fact, and only issued in the US at the time, which
looks to be true.

hMMM... one of my favorite subjects (at least until Astley does it right...)

Actually, the information you got was what was written in ICE. The truth of
the matter is, they can't find the original multis and they're just assuming
they "sank" with Kit. As we know, they JUST found the masters to "Won't Get
Fooled Again"...

While they appear to be working hard on the mix/remaster project, they
haven't gone too far beyond what's sitting right in front of them AND even
so, haven't bothered cataloging every unmarked tape box. This is the real
problem. If they don't know what they have, and don't look too hard for
what's missing, they got problems...

MOST of the stereo masters have been used on the GERMAN "A Quick One" (except
for "So Sad About Us" and "See My Way") and believe me, they sound great.
According to John Entwistle, those tapes are "copy tapes", but from my
perspective, they sound better than anything else currently released and
should be "tinkered" with to get the album right... Next to the German
release of the album, the Japanese version has the most stereo tracks, but
has "A Quick One While He's Away" in mono and the sound is not quite as good
as the German copy. The USA Decca (and it's subsequent reissues) never really
figured out what it was trying to do. Some tracks were in similated stereo,
some mono, some true stereo. Overall, it sounded like <Picard>. Seek out a
German vinyl copy and enjoy the album the way it should be listened to...

Lastly, there was talk of them doing the CD over again (properly), but I
wouldn't hold my breath...

- -wf