Quick One Stereo vs. Mono Debate

I myself was kinda bumbed out when AQO was issued mostly in mono on the new
CD, so I tried to figure out why. I was talking to Allan Kozinn
<allank@mail.idt.net>, and this is what he said:

>Just been going through my notes. Astley says that the multitracks of
>Quick One were washed away in a flood of Kit Lambert's place in Venice
>years ago, so are no longer available for remixing. So his choices, for
>that album, were a series of mixdown tapes: mono and stereo. He listened
>to them all and chose the ones he felt sounded best. That's why he
>couldn't have created new stereo mixes.

I had asked him why Astley did not decide to remix AQO from the multitrack
masters... Kozinn also said Astley made it sound like the stereo masters
for AQO were made after the fact, and only issued in the US at the time,
which looks to be true.

Any comments?

Luke

- ---

LukPac@newrock.com
http://www.corenet.net/lukpac/

Co-creator of the Macinwash: "Cleans your clothes _AND_ the internet!"