Re: Calling it the Who without Pete...

>I gather you've never been to a recent (like '93) Plant solo concert, and
>haven't followed the Page/Plant tour very closely.  If you had, you'd find
>that Plant's voice is in amazing shape and Page's guitar playing is fully
>up to his previous high standards.  If there was one show that exemplifies
>all of this it was: Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct. 7, 1995.  There's video
>and audio available of this show, I recommend you check it out.

Steven:

While not having attended a show, I've heard a few...and frankly, I cringe
when Plant attempts to sing an old Zep song (Thank You, for instance). His
voice MAY be improved, but it's not very good anymore. And live, it goes
bye-bye after like two songs.
I've heard that Page has "come back" from his slump (Live Aid says it all),
but haven't heard it yet.

>My only lament about Zep->Page/Plant is also echoed in my feelings about
>the early 80's Who:  Their most recent material no longer attempts to be
>hard rock, they're more interested in the arrangements than in the songs
>themselves.

I have several beefs about P/P:
1) they left out JPJones, who was THE creative force of the band after `71.
2) had they done all new material on NO QUARTER, it would have worked well
and been welcome. Instead, they didn't have the balls and gave us old Zep
reworked (in most cases, not for the better) and a few new songs which show
what could have been had they the balls.
3) they are touring around on the success of their former band, rather than
trying to create something...which I also am unhappy with DST for the same
reason.

                   Cheers                   ML