Re: Calling it the Who without Pete...

This may not be relevant to the "WHO is WHO" debate, but in the vein of
typing up old articles, here's the Rolling Stone from Nov 11, 1982. (Does
this fit into this argument?: don't know; don't care. Delete it if you don't
want it.) Please excuse any and all forthcoming typos. It's late and I've had
too much to drink. And AOL doesn't have a spell-check. Good thing this issue
was sitting on top of the pile.

So if the Who stop touring, he doesn't want to be involved in just making
records with them? "un, no," Entwistle says. "I mean, from my point of view,
I'm not prepared to just carry on doing albums. If the touring isn't there,
then I'd rather get my own thing together, wich involves touring as well."
Interesting.
Very Intereting, acutally. Especially to Townshend and Daltrey, who have
heard nothing about Entwistle's decision to bail out i the band realy quits
the road.
"He told you that?" says Daltrey the next day in Indianapolis. He's a bit
taken aback, but after all these years, obviously nothing that happens
wihthin the Who really supriseshim anymore. But could the Who bring in
another bassist and still call themselves the WHO?
"I don't know," says Daltrey carefully. "We'll have to cross that bridge whn
we come to it. I mean, I'm pretyy ruthless about keepin' the Who together,
and if John doesn't want to do it, then..." He's really thinking this one
over now. "You see," he suddlenly says, "John never says anything. We have
meetings, and John actually says absoulutely nothing -- never has, never
will. If we havee a meetin', it'll be Pete and me talkin' and the other two
just sittin' there. I mean, you never really get to know waht John feels. So,
in the end, it's just really what Pete and I want to do...I'm sure if Pete
and I wanted to do it and still call it the Who, we could do it successfully.

Strange news travesl fast. At the concert that night in Indianapolis, the Who
carnked up a rather emphatic version of "Long Live Rock," and as Townshend
chargedinto the guitar solo, thrashing and flailing at his long-surffering
Telecaster[sic--idiots; you would think a magazine of this age and stature
would get it right], he also started leaping across the stage to where
Entwistle was standing and pumping out bass. When he reached Entwistle's ear,
he shouted--the mouthing was unmistakable from the side of the stage --
 "Fuck you!" But then he broke into this big, goofy grin, rolled his eyese up
in his head like the village spaz and bopped his way back to his amps. Lord
knows.....
Backstatge after the show, Townshend slumped on a dressing-room couch and
considered Entwistle's dark mutterings. Was he serious?
"I think he's serious," Pete said. "I don't quite know...I'ts one of the big
question marks. Yo know, John's plyain', the fulfulliment he gets from the
way that he plays, can only be experisnced in a road situation -- and
possible only iwth the Who. But I think whne the band does stop workin', each
member is gonna go through a different set of withdrawals, you know? If John
feels that he couldn't even address himslef to the prospect of doin'
recording, then of course we've got a problem." Townshend cracks a sly grin.
"He'll hae to find about $1 million to five back to Warner Bros. He'll ahve
to sell one of his 450 basses or somthing."
But if he leaves, could he be rplaced? Would the resulting band sitll be the
Who? After all, Roger thinks that as long as Daltrey and Townshend are up
there, it still is the Who.
Pete shakes his head. "That is so mistaken," he says. "I mean, it would be
Townshend and Daltrey--or Daltrey and Townshend." Another grin. "But, oh, it
would *not* be the Who."

That's it. Sick of typing.... However, earlier in the article, we find this,
and remember, this is late '82, before the Toronto show:

Anything might happen between now and mid-December, when the tour concludes.
An dthey do have a future, however ambiguous: The band wil ltour Britain and
Europe in the new year, then Australia, and for thfirst time, Japan. And Bill
Curbishley, the group's enterprising manager, is already talking about the
possibility of pliying a qiuck cluster of dates sometime in 1984 and perhaps
fulfilling the WHo's longstading plan to play eastern Europe -- maybe even
doing Tommy at Moscow's opera house. As Kenney Jones says:"Little and often
is the workd -- one-off concerts, or three or four days somewhere."

OK that's it. I'm done. Anyone else who has the article can feel free to
continue.

Goodnight.

Litgo