Re: Record Shows

Brian, re:

>However, I suspect that one of the primary reasons that boots aren't
>     being released is the artists.  They've worked for years to put out
>     "quality" work, and have little interest in releasing what they
>     consider inferior material.  It's quite a different perspective from
>     the fans.
>
>     I still see no reason to think that your "limited release" approach
>     wouldn't work.  If the artists don't want this out competing in the
>     marketplace, why not jack up the price and put a "for collectors only"
>     sticker on it?  I think this is an even better idea than putting out a
>     bootleg-driven album like "Odds and Sods" or "Who's Missing" as if it
>     were a major release from The Who.  Of course, there would be critics
>     who would say they were ripping off their fans....

As far as the artist goes... Fantasy or Realism? The fantasy is one that says
nobody is trading tapes, nobody is booting. The realism is where they KNOW
damn well what's going on and just say <Riker> it. Hey, if they want it,
we'll give it to them, but they have to pay for it, since it's limited...
Everybody wins: record company/artist/fan...

-wf