Re: Record ShowsSun Dec 7 15:09:14 PST 1997

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:29:54 -0400, Brian.Cady@turner.com wrote:

>     I still see no reason to think that your "limited release" approach
>     wouldn't work.  If the artists don't want this out competing in the
>     marketplace, why not jack up the price and put a "for collectors only"
>     sticker on it?  I think this is an even better idea than putting out a
>     bootleg-driven album like "Odds and Sods" or "Who's Missing" as if it
>     were a major release from The Who.  Of course, there would be critics
>     who would say they were ripping off their fans....

Well, as someone pointed out in another post, it *did* work for Frank
Zappa.  But I think he mostly did it because the stuff was already out
there anyway. I don't know whether he would have released the stuff on
Beat the Boots if he could have relied on the Government to crack down
on the bootleggers.

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies."
                                                        Voltaire