Re: Scalpers

Bob, re:

<< I couldn't disagree more strongly.  What happens often times, is the
 promoter, the hall, and other non-artist types get, as part of their
 compensation, maybe a 1,000 tickets per night.  The best seats.
 Factored into their compensation at cost.  then, they wholesale them
 out at say $20.00 over face and make a quick $20,000.00 a night.  the
 scalpers they sell them to sell mark them up another $30-50 per, and
 you have fans paying $50-70 more per ticket than face.  And this money
 doesn't go to the artist. >>

I see you're a lawyer, not an accountant... :)  Actually, if what you are
stating is true, indirectly the artist may be benefiting. Your assumption is
that these tickets are given away "as part of their compensation".

OK, in this case... 1 night, 1,000 tickets @ $65 = $65,000??? Chaulk that up
as a "minus" to the total gross revenues...  Now, if they DIDN'T give these
tickets away, how much would they have to "compensate" these various
people??? Probably more. Then, look at the tax angle... You chopped $$$ off
the top end, no taxes. Tickets "disappeared" into various people's hands for
which cash were exchanged, again, no taxes for them either... Get it now?
More perks for those in the business...

While the artist may simply show up and collect his/her piece of the pie, the
person making these deals, knows exactly what they're doing and why... Seems
to me like it's all part of the "game"...

Oh, and of course all scalpers are scum... but that goes without say... :)

- -wf