Re: FAKE WINDMILLS

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Cracker, "Sweethearts" Los Angeles 1992

Alan,

	RE:> Did you actually see any of the '89 shows??

	Shocking, isn't it, how the Who Digest Country Club Admissions
Committee has allowed the non-1989 tour attending rabble like myself on
to the Who Digest?  The peasants are storming the Bastille!
	But in all seriousness, I only saw the TV broadcast from the 1989 tour,
as I was in college at the time and didn't want to waste precious
beer/carousing money on what was, imho, a questionable tour to begin
with.

	RE:> But to say that he "didn't play guitar on the 1989 tour" is just
simply> wrong.  He played acoustic, electric, and screaming electric
soloes.

	Yes, it would be wrong to say Townshend didn't play guitar on that
tour, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that played NO guitar.
Here's what I said:

 	"The way I understand> >it, he didn't even play guitar on the 1989
Tour... just kind of went> >through the motions (including windmills),
and had someone else do the> >lead work."

	To my mind, Townshend "Playing guitar" for the Who means "Playing LEAD
guitar," as he was the Who's lead guitarist.  Townshend playing rythym
guitar puts a different spin on my concept of the "The Who," as his
role was different.  Please pardon my lack of clarity.  Btw, the solo
he played on WGFA on the TV broadcast I saw, in a word, sucked.  He was
just sort of making twanging sounds with his guitar, not playing a
solo.  It was as painful to listen to as Jimmy Page's guitar playing
with The Firm (which also sucked).  But that's just my opinion....
	Nevertheless, Townshend's 1989 Tour work with the acoustic guitar and
changes to the accompanying arrangements, as I said in another note,
added a new texture to many of the songs I heard on the TV broadcast,
especially the Overture to TOMMY.
	Every good wish--Tom Farrell