RE: Monterey Festival

>I heard a rumor once that Pete was
>determined to make their finale at Monterey a memorable one
>especially because Jimmi Hendrix was playing Monterey as well
>and he was determined that the Who were not going to be up-
>staged by Hendrix with his flaming guitar.  Can anyone confirm
>this?

Kreg:

You're very close to the truth, but not quite. Hendrix played after The Who
(with The Grateful Dead between), so it was HE who was determined to not be
upstaged. But actually, Pete and Jimi had a backstage argument about who
would play first/last. Pete lost, and they went on first. He had every right
to be upset, considering how much Hendrix stole from The Who. During the
show, someone asked Townshend what he thought about Hendrix stealing his
act. Pete replied: "Stealing our act? He's DOING our act!"
And so the Hendrix fans here don't get upset, Jimi was an excellent
guitarist (better than Pete) but obviously took his method of controlled
feedback (not to mention the drumming) from The Who. Pete did admire him,
which made the situation that much more upsetting to him.
You might want to check out the movie Jimi Hendrix, which apart from being
an great movie on its own, opens with an interview with PT (and has others).

For those who might be interested in the Monterey tracks:
Substitute/Summertime Blues/Pictures Of Lily (the only released live
version)/A Quick One While He's Away/Happy Jack/My Generation
I have the Rhino set, and can confirm its excellence.

       Cheers                              ML