RE: Monterey Festival

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Mark Leaman wrote:

> would play first/last. Pete lost, and they went on first. He had every right

I thought Pete _won_ because he didn't want to have to follow Jimi (and
make it look like the Who was copying Hendrix's act), and this is where
the story of Pete fighting with Jimi because he was trying to get Jimi to
let the Who on first, but Jimi was just standing on his chair noodling
away on his guitar on whatever planet he was on at the time & wasn't being
persuaded by Petre's logic, so finally David Crosby or someone told them
to flip a coin & Pete won.  I think this was recounted by Pete on the 30
Yrs video, so it's subject to Pete's interpretation of his memories of the
time, and my memory, since it's been a while since I've watched the video.

Shane Matheson						MechEng/CompSci UWO

	"I smash guitars because I like them. " -- Pete Townshend