Re: Let's See Action

}From: Jeff Williams <jeffw@mxim.com>
}
}...
}I ask once again, what are the sales figures on all the Who rereleases?
}

Well, I don't know if it contains that kind of info, but I forgot to include
this reference in my previous post, so thanks for the opportunity to mention
that there is a publication named "Rock Accounts 1995" (* mentioned below),
published by Media Research Publishing (Avon BS23 2UX) in the U.K.  The
following is quoted from the 23Dec95-5Jan96 issue of The Economist, in the
article "Musical Chairs" heading the Business section:

   The cost of talent-spotting executives is rising, as is that of talent.
   "In the early 1960s bands like the Kinks and the Who earned 2-3% margin,"
   says Cliff Dane, who publishes a survey of stars' pay in Britain. (*) "By
   the 1980s that had risen to 10-15%, and now is over 20% for superstars."
   Others reckon that, while prices to wholesalers have risen by less than 2%
   a year over the past five years, royalties have been rising by 7-8%.  As
   with films, superstars can also demand huge marketing budgets:  three-
   quarters of the reputed $40m cost of launching Michael Jackson's latest
   disc, "HIStory", is said to have gone on marketing.

Now, compare $30 million to market MJ's latest ego indulgence to whatever MCA
spent on marketing the Who recently...  :-(