Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

>Never count someone else's money... We really don't know what they're being
>paid for and what they're not.

WF:
With an operation this large, they ARE getting paid...whether it's a fee or
a percentage.

>I'll tell you this much, it must be a real
>pain-in-the-arse dealing with all the players. Just think about this
>scenario: "Tommy" is all remixed. Sent to Pete. "OK", John, "Bring up the
>bass!" Roger, "Where's my vocals???" Back to the studio. Pete: "Where did all
>this <Riker> bass come from? And who burried my guitar?  Around and around
>and around... Finally the finished product: Fans: "What a load of <Picard>!
>It's one thing when the thing was done the first time and everyone was
>anxious to get it to the market. This go around has everyone offerring their
>opinions, and that's just about it.

That is worst case. I can't believe that anyone who works as a producer (and
even I would claim to be able to do this much) would back down to the point
of ruining a project. C'mon now...You say, "Sorry John, your bass is heavy
enough, and that's it. You have to look at it from the fan's point of view.
Who's gonna buy it? Well, then...but I'll be glad to make YOU a version like
that."

>Yeah, I'd do it and I'm sure you'd do it,
>but like John says in "Success Story", "Take two-hundred and fifty six, you
>know this used to be fun..." Trust me, this stuff is a lot more fun as a
>hobby. When you start doing it for real and there's deadlines and all kindsa
>people involved...

Deadlines that are missed...
The thing is, I wouldn't mind at all doing and redoing. That's exactly how I
write. It's part of it, you know? You HAVE to do it, so you do it.

>> Let me wade through the tapes. I wouldn't hate it, I wouldn't be
>>overwhelmed, I wouldn't complain, and I have some idea what the people want
>>(and would be willing to listen).

>Here's devil's advocate again... OK, here's the deal: MCA and Polydor ONLY
>want TWO CDs (aka 154 minutes) and Pete, Roger and John insist that the
>following 10 songs _?_?_?, etc. are on the discs and you've got fans from all
>over the world requesting enough "favorites" for a 50 CD box set. How in the
>world are you going to make everyone happy, so that not one person has
>"something to say" after it's all said and done? (Just picture yourself
>saying, "Where's my 5 CDs?!?") That's reality... I think after you're done
>wading through the millions of requests, suggestions and slightly used toilet
>paper, you're going to say "<Riker> it!" and do the best job YOU think you
>can do given the parameters in which you have to work. Yes? or...

Again, I would say: "Roger, John...there are already twenty versions of that
song released. The fans, the people who will buy this and who care about the
band, want something more. They want something special this time. They are
going to buy it regardless of what you put on, so why not make them happy? A
5 CD set will put the band's history in the best perspective it can be in,
and therefore showing you in the best possible light. You guys are Rock
icons...so I think you should be treated as such. AND a five disk set will
make your solo careers more marketable."

"Dear MCA,
Your interference in the band's history thus far has been the prime reason
The Who are not as popular or respected as less talented and innovative
bands. History has proven that you don't know what's best for them. Need I
say MAGIC BUS? This time you MUST treat them as they should have been
treated all along. This is literally your last chance. Atone for your sins!
(Amen!) This band should and could be treated better than (say) The Rolling
Stones or Led Zepplin...and this is the way to do it! Make a definitive
historic collection of the band's music live. What's in it for you? Their
entire catalog will sell better, and longer. The band (known as the greatest
live band ever) will get more respect. The buying public will be happy. You
will make more money. Everybody wins; nobody loses."

You want solutions? I've got solutions.

   Cheers                         ML