Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

Mark, re:

>"Dear MCA,
>Your interference in the band's history thus far has been the prime reason
The Who are not as popular or respected as less talented and innovative
bands. History has proven that you don't know what's best for them. Need I
say MAGIC BUS? This time you MUST treat them as they should have been treated
all along. This is literally your last chance. Atone for your sins! (Amen!)
This band should and could be treated better than (say) The Rolling Stones or
Led Zepplin...and this is the way to do it! Make a definitive historic
collection of the band's music live. What's in it for you? Their entire
catalog will sell better, and longer. The band (known as the greatest live
band ever) will get more respect. The buying public will be happy. You will
make more money. Everybody wins; nobody loses."

>You want solutions? I've got solutions.

Mark, from a business perspective that fails. That's an emotional appeal to
people running a business (and that's exactly what record companies are).

>>Again, I would say: "Roger, John...there are already twenty versions of
that song released. The fans, the people who will buy this and who care about
the band, want something more. They want something special this time. (and
the comments about mix et al)

That is what you would say. But it's just words. They won't sound too good
when you're conveying that message to Pete and he slams the phone down on
you! Playing devel's advocate again, I'll say to you: Back up everything
you're saying with some hard statistics and sales figures. The fact is, you
may be right. However, the statistics don't agree with you. Are you prepared
to put up YOUR own money if you're wrong?

While I'm not defending these guy's mistakes, I am saying that the job is a
LOT more complicated than you make it out to be. You think you can waltz
right in there and charm people into doing things your way? Based on what???
I don't think so...

wf