Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>Well Ian...if Page was influenced by The Who while in the Yardbirds, and
>then continues this (or makes it his style, as you say) in LZ, then...I
> mean
>do you see what you've written? You've agreed with me (finally).

At least I'VE been looking into the "archives" for this argument, BUT I
still contend that what you hear on LZ II is more Page than anything else.
What you hear on LZ II could be taken from the Who as much as Iron
Butterfly, it's still hard to tell.   But yes on certain Yardbird songs it's
a definate Who influence, but since there are plenty other YB songs that
don't ring a Who influence, so who's to say?  If it's a Who influence on LZ
II it is very dilluted in comparison to what he did with the Yardbirds.

>So who's talking about the surface? As I said before, even if the great
>unwashed record-buying public only heard the surface of this (and other)
> Who
>songs, there are those of us who went deeper...and heard more. What I heard
>was a song that altered the face of Rock music forever.

So what are you saying?  I'm only pointing out the foundation of the song,
and that is the surface.  It altered rock music because the Who played MG
like no other band before.  But it still contains the same contents as the
other artists of it's time.   What you consider "deeper" is how Who did it,
but the bare bones of the song isn't any different from YRGM.  If the song
itself was different from it's contemporaries it would have to be written in
something outside of the blues scale, which it isn't.  Call and response,
that is My Gen and it's a definate blues trait, delete this statement all
you want, but it's true.

"I'm pissed off, I'm pissed off all the time" ---Ray Rhodes