Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>Well, comparing those Zep parts and what the Yardbirds were doing (and of
>course, LZ I) it seems that this bombastic chord-driven sound must have
> come
>from somewhere!

There are Yardbird examples of this.  Songs like Little Games, or Tinker
Tailor Soldier Sailor (all Page material) have that chord driven sound.  Now
THOSE songs do have a clear Who influence.  But by the time LZ II the sound
was more in Page's style, at least that's my opinion.

>>I was going by the sound of Cream as a whole and compared it to how
>>Mayall's band sounded at that time.  It had nothing to do with
> songwriting
>>and the song's original authors.
>
>We were talking about Bruce's influence by Mayall. (Why, I no longer
> recall)
>Bruce's songs (the ones he wrote) show no influence by Mayall. Are you
>saying that when he played the Blues he was influenced by Mayall because he
>once played the Blues with Mayall's band?

Yes, I think Bruce picked up a british style of the blues in Mayall's form
from his band.

>>If My Gen isn't blues, how were the Who able to make it so during their
>'75/'76 >tour?
>>It didn't take much, they just slowed it down, dropped the bass solo and
>>ending.
>
>They made MG into Blues by drastic alteration. The chords aren't the
>same...nothing is the same except the breaks and the lyrics. It's not the
>same song, really.

It is the same song, the notes are exactly the same (minus the opening
chords), only Pete isn't using chords and he's playing those notes in a 12
bar blues fashion.  Not much alteration at all, just a little imagination.
That interpretation proves that on the surface it really was just a blues
song.

>>The songs themselves have nothing to do with pushing rock ahead,
>>it was how they were performed.  The Who just happened to make MG into a
>>very angry song that wasn't heard before it's time.  But Ray planted the
>>seeds.
>
>I believe, after studying the other music of the time, that MG was
>revolutionary and unique in its form and structure...it stands alone
> amongst
>a sea of Berry/Blues tunes. YRGM planted the seeds for I Can't
>Explain...I'll grant you that...

The fact that MG still contains the call and response makes it heavily
dependent on the blues style.  But PT did have the intuition to alter it
just enough to make something new.  However on the surface it's not very
different from it's contemporaries.

"I'm pissed off, I'm pissed off all the time" ---Ray Rhodes