"Who is she? I'll rape it!"

Re:

>The women I saw
>were for the most part quiet and uncomfortable...Rather, it's that the >song
is assaultive and violating.  It hurts everytime
>that The Who sing it. It is a too close to home example of the many
>assaultive/violating expressions towards women that are tacitly and
>explicitly endorsed in our culture and immediate surrounding every >day. I
>have even sometimes observed it in this Who forum.  I guess it hurts >in
every
>single one of those places, and it especially hurts when it comes >through
The
>Who.

It was hard on me, hearing that song for the first time.  And when it was sung
in DST I was one of those not singing along with it...some guys beside me
noticed and looked guilty themselves.  I've gotten used to it, just thinking
of it as Jimmy's bravado and his frustrations with women.  But it's funny that
at MSG I was able to enjoy the song in spite of the fact that I experienced a
LOT of sexual harassment during my NYC trip (though not from any of the
listers, you are all gentlemen) and elsewhere.  I guess I'm just trying to say
that we all have feelings that can be seen as wrong or shameful...but they're
there, and can't be denied forever.  One must acknowledge his feelings,
however unreasonable they may seem, before trying to deal with them.  In that
respect I find Quad to be painfully honest.  Just like Pete not to flinch from
reality but hit it head on.

Amira

PS:  I'm sorry I didn't meet you at Molly Wee's Lauren.  Where were you??