RE: zep/who in the 70's

----------
From: 	owner-thewho@mpath.com on behalf of Kevin Winn
Sent: 	Tuesday, April 23, 1996 1:25 PM
To: 	posts
Subject: 	zep/who in the 70's

Kevin, re:

>Amira theorizes:

Being a Zep fan in the '70's was like being part of an "exclusive club."
<<<

>No, it wasn't.  Being a Zep fan in the 70's was like being part of an
>*ocean.*  It was an absolute *minimum* for anyone who was not into Disco
>(god, I still shudder at the word...).  Being into the Who was much
>closer to an exclusive club.  Zep was the biggest machine Rock had ever
>seen.  They managed to keep that mysterious air about them because they
>were so nebulous and evasive.  The Who were an open book.  There was no
>pretense.  They were huge (basically because or the phrases "teenage
>wasteland" and "they're all wasted"), but a lot of people couldn't handle
>the honesty (still can't), or it went right by 'em.

I got my info from the booklet that came with Led Zep's 4 CD box set.  The
article was written by Cameron Crowe:

"Manager Peter Grant had a game plan.  He'd avoided releasing any singles, and
had studiously booked the group into key hotspots for progressive music . . .
It would be a private experience, a word-of-mouth affair, something to be
passed between friends like a good joint . . . Concert ads were rarely taken.
To be a fan of Led Zeppelin was to be a member of an exclusive club.  The
information traveled not in newspapers, but in the back of cars, on the
telephone and on the radio."

Of course I can't personally comment, having been quite young in the '70's . .
. all I listened to was disco on the radio in the car <ggg>.  At that age my
favorite band was Abba.

Amira