RE: Quadrophenia in 1974

The High technical standard caused another problem.  They had to use
prerecorded tapes and Keith had to play with headphones on, in order to follow

the rather complicated patterns.  Keith could hardly hear the band and the
band could hardly hear the tapes.  Sometimes they were completely out of
synch.  As a result they dropped more and more numbers and so Roger's
expalnations grew longer and Longer.  The failure of the concept became
obvious.

I remember reading in Before I Get Old that Pete at one point got so
frustrated with the prerecorded tape and its set playback speed that he
reached over the console and just started pulling tape off the reels running
months of work.