Re: RnR HOF 500 songs that shaped rock

>Hey whoa back!  You're talking about how the song is a great
>representation of Tommy, not what a great influenece it has on other
>artists and it's musical significance.
>
>Sure the song might have deep meaning, a crucial part of the "Opera" but
>I don't think it's as outstanding as a musical composition when you
>compare it to other works.
>
>I don't want to engange in this is better than that etc... and I'm not
>saying that only the hit singles should be those considered.   The 500
>songs are meant to be charactertic of Rock's best, I think there
>are better candidates.
>
>How many bands have started because members have heard GttM?  How many
>other inspiration rock songs have been written because of GttM?  How
>many people whislte the tune as they're driving?  Granted there must be
>some, but a small number I think.

How many bands have started because members heard _Tommy_ as a whole,
though?  I think others are right- it does make sense as a way of
including all of Tommy.  It includes the familiar melody line and
it incorporates See Me, Feel Me, an essential piece of Tommy, one
not included in Pinball Wizard.

And we know Tommy as a whole did influence rock immeasurably.

Caveat:
I personally think the Rock and Roll hall of fame is full of shit.

Chris