My Gen over YRGM + ADAAOTN

I'll agree with Mike Westbrook about ICE not really having
an improvement upon those landmark Kink singles.  However My
Generation is a different matter.

Since the Who didn't have a big impact in the US until later (Decca
has something to do with this) you didn't get the full unleashing of
My Gen like you heard YRGM for the first time.  Take that away and
it becomes clear that My Generation is not only a watershed single in
terms of it's heavyness and depth (the controlled feedback and
climaxed finale) but also a song that IMHO has worn much better over
time (it's become an anthem for every disgruntled generation since).
MG takes what the Kinks began and opens a wider door into
the age of power and volume in rock music.  Just because it didn't
crack the top 40 doesn't mean it's impact wasn't felt.  The same can
be said about the Velvet Underground and Big Star with it's impact
on today's alternative scene.  No one will say that the Kinks weren't
the first, but the Who made it's mark.