Re: My Gen over YRGM + ADAAOTN

>I'll agree with Mike Westbrook about ICE not really having
>an improvement upon those landmark Kink singles.  However My
>Generation is a different matter.
>

>Since the Who didn't have a big impact in the US until later (Decca
>has something to do with this) you didn't get the full unleashing of
>My Gen like you heard YRGM for the first time.  Take that away and
>it becomes clear that My Generation is not only a watershed single in
>terms of it's heavyness and depth (the controlled feedback and
>climaxed finale) but also a song that IMHO has worn much better over
>time (it's become an anthem for every disgruntled generation since).
>MG takes what the Kinks began and opens a wider door into
>the age of power and volume in rock music.  Just because it didn't
>crack the top 40 doesn't mean it's impact wasn't felt.  The same can
>be said about the Velvet Underground and Big Star with it's impact
>on today's alternative scene.  No one will say that the Kinks weren't
>the first, but the Who made it's mark.

Ian:
We must disagree again. While it's true that ICE & My Generation didn't make
musch of a chart impression, that's not to say that the artists didn't hear
them. It's easy to see that they did, actually. Before the MY GENERATION
album was released, bands (including The Beatles) were pretty much recycling
Chuck Berry & Blues. After MG...anything went. A quick look at Rock history
shows this.
My Generation was also the first single I know of with the Punk attitude.
You Really Got Me ect. were love songs...yawn (as far as the lyrics are
concerned).
 Cheers                         ML