Re: A few questions

>   I just had a few questions I'd like to run by everybody:
>
>1.  Would anyone like to comment on the quality (sound, packaging, or
>otherwise) of one or all of the Amsterdam 1969 bootlegs?

Personally, I think the Amsterdam show is the best live `69 TOMMY I've
heard. I have the single disk version WFang mentions called The Early Years
- Tommy Live (and is 8% off speed...but thanks to WF I do have a CD player
with a pitch control). And the entire version on tape. As WF says, the mix
is not great and the guitar cuts out near the end of Sparks for a moment
(and the vocals during the beginning of Eyesight). I also have the Woodstock
version from the Italian "import" Woodstock - The Lost Performances (which
is said to be the best version), and I think that Amsterdam beats it by a
slight margin. My opinion.

>2.  Can anyone lend any credence to the rumours that I've been hearing that the
>complete Isle of Wight show is soon to be released on video, and that MCA's
That was mentioned just before the boxed set came out, and that the entire
concert would be on the 30 Years video. It isn't, of course. Let's keep our
fingers crossed.

>multi-disk live retrospective (which I had heard wasn't even to be started
until
>the reissue program was finished) is due out for November?

I've also heard that this would be out before Xmas. That would be nice, but
nothing has been said recently. I have written Charlesworth, requesting that
he release a single performance of TOMMY rather than the bits and pieces
he's said to be considering. My argument was that each performance has its
own flow, and to pick it apart would surely lose that.
But my gut feeling, looking at the cuts MCA has released so far, is that the
main reason they are putting them out (other than being able to sell the
albums to us again) is to undercut the flood of bootlegs out there. So
they're putting out one cut from this and one from that boot. WHO'S NEXT is
going to have one cut from Lifehouse At Leeds, for instance. And that boot
has 6 fantastic alternate WN cuts, some with Leslie West on lead guitar. But
we get one. They could release it as a double CD (you'd buy it, right?) or
better yet a boxed set like LAYLA with the demos and Live At Young Vic and
all of it. There's certainly enough material.
My point is that the live boxed set is likely to have a few cuts from
Monterey Pop, Fillmore East, Accept No Substitute, Amsterdam, etc. Which
would be a shame. I, for one, would rather have entire performances
released. And Monterey has been released.
But we can't have everything, can we? I'll still buy it...
   Cheers                   ML