Poll II

>Most recent album bought:

>Blur: THE GREAT ESCAPE

>Last concert attended:

Tom Petty, about a month ago.

>Why the Who are so important:

They are the greatest Rock band to ever walk the face of the Earth...
I know, that's not enough, is it? Because their music has spoken and
continues to speak to me. My teen years are behind me now, but QUAD still
has its relevance to my life. In fact, as I time travel (one direction and
at one speed, unfortunately) through life, many songs come to mean things to
me...songs I've heard for years. As has been said, they're doing the
soundtrack of my life.
Their music stands the test of time, much as Dylan's early work does (and my
main beef with IH & FD is that the music therein doesn't stand as well).
They have yet to be outdone in their contribution of changing RnR music into
the vast and encompassing umbrella of Rock music.
Every time I hear a newer band do something that came from The Who, I can
spot it. The first time I heard Pearl Jam live (a Westwood One concert), I
nearly went nuts...there is still a core greatness yet untapped in modern
music. The influence is still spreading (note My Generation on Green Day's
KERPLUNK).
And if that isn't enough, just hearing the band crank out the music in their
own distinct style always makes me feel good. Every boot I get (no matter
how old) bears witness that they were nothing short of the greatest Rock
band, etc.
                     Cheers              ML