LaL Generation Gaffe

Firstly, let me say how much I enjoy the new LaL overall, which makes me
wonder why the crude surgery on Entwistle's brilliant bass break in My
Generation was necessary, in the reissued work.

To put in perspective, in 1965, when the bloody bass could barely be
heard on most recordings (except for Tamla/Motown) and the bassist in
most bands was assumed to be asleep, Entwistle's work was considered to
be a revolutionary breakthrough in rock & roll (see also Bass Player
article, April 1995).

Some of you must have noticed the very nasty repetition of the two first
bars of the 16 bar break, which appear again in bars 8-10 of the break!
Not only is the repetition boring but the whole construction of the
break is lost with the elimination of the original two most unique and
difficult to play bars (try it). Also for those who have the old
recording, you can hear Roger trying to come back in too early just
after the break. Fixing this latter mistake, of course, did not hurt
anything. Slicing Entwistle's break, however, is sacrilege.

Is anyone else disappointed in this? John's contributions deserve a
better fate. Can anyone shed light on why this chop-job was necessary?

Regards, George