Re: Drummers

Dear Fang:

Thanks for your kind response.  The truth is I expected to get flamed for
mentioning Ringo and I am glad to say I was mistaken.

<Actually, Ringo isn't all that bad for a glorified "time keeper".>

I wouldn't call him a time-keeper.  I think he's more of a feel-meister!  I
am a musician, and I play on a lot of jingles-99% of the time with drum
machine.  Yes, it sounds perfect, but there's no feeling, no life.  Moon
wasn't a metronomic drummer-he added fire.  Ringo added feeling, groove, and
life to the Beatles-even on the new song, Free As A Bird.

I know a lot of people have been putting down Kenney Jones (who I think is a
great drummer).  I think that after Moon died, the band had a tough decision
to make.  Should they look for someone who plays just like Moon?  Should they
settle for someone "almost the same as"?  That would be disrespectful to
Keith.  They decided to go with someone with a totally different style, maybe
one that reflected the direction they were going.  When Bonham died, Zeppelin
decided to split up instead of hiring a copycat.  The Who decided to keep
going, but in another direction (or perhaps they had already started moving).
 Since the '89 tour was a greatest hits tour, they needed someone who could
copy Moon's style-a sideman-Simon Phillips.

Of course, this is all just IMHO.

Scott Totten