What if Keith had lived and somebody else died????

          dan'l wrote on 12/6/95:

>Okay, as long as we're playing make-believe, suppose that some
>other of the band had died, and Moon were still alive.  Who should
>they have gotten to replace Pete?  Or John?  Or Roger?

>My nominations:

>Roger -- Robert Plant is a fairly obvious choice; he's always been a
>Roger Daltry wannabee.

          --with a hairier chest (one hair would be hairer than ole
          Rog's). Plant in the Who kind of scares me. I would think
          that Pete and John could have taken over the vocals, if Pete
          had wanted to. Certainly the man could sing his own songs by
          then! In fact, I highly doubt that Pete would have wanted to
          recruit a new singer. Roger's "death" would have been a
          sure-fire way for Pete to get the Who he wanted, just so
          long as they played out and pleased Entwistle. Roger was a
          real roadblock to advancing the Who's sound--he wanted that
          three-piece thrashing. Pete finally figured that Roger was
          never gonna allow for a change in the Who's sound.

>John -- Tony Levin.  One of the few bass players who can play lead
>like that.

          What about the more obvious choice--Chris Squire? The man
          was really influenced by Entwistle; hell, he mentions
          Entwistle in about every interview. Also, now with Chris's
          recent weight gains, he would undoubtedly be an Ox. Gotta go
          with Squire in terms of melodic bass playing and Rotosound
          strings! Of course, sometimes Yes gets carried away with
          three people wanting to be the lead instrument! BTW, Howe
          and Wakeman are back with Anderson, Squire, and White. Rabin
          bailed for his solo career, and Tony Kaye finally realized
          his limitations, I guess. He's gonna be a part of Yes's
          management.

>Pete -- This one's tough!  I'd probably say Todd Rundgren,

Sorry, my make believe has to stop here. Pete's death would have
been the undeniable end of the band. I wouldn't want to listen to
'em without him (the Daltrey-Entwistle tours notwithstanding,
because they do not proffer themselves as the Who nor do they
attempt to add offer new material and call it the Who)

 --jim