Re: "Who's Last"/Who in '80s

Hi,

I've really tried to avoid any records/tapes by the Who with Kenney Jones
'79-'80. Partly because I've been told that this wasn't their best tour, and
partly by records like "Who's Last".

"Who's Last" sounds a bit like "Greatest hits live". Now this might be a
suitable concept for artists like Phil Collins, but NOT the Who.

Clearly the 82 tour wasn't their best in Rock&roll terms, but at least they
could have tried to put a decent record out. A record that reflected the
tour and the music they played during the tour. Much better live material
was available, had they really wanted to make a greatest live compilation.

I've seen "Who rocks America" (the video of the Toronto show) and this is
quite good actually. At least in comparison with "Who's last". A significant
difference I think is that the sound production of the video was left to
producer Glyn Johns, whereas the Live record was produced by (Who roadie?)
Cy Langston.

Also, if anyone still wants to buy "Who's last" on CD I'd suggest the single CD
version. It's totally unnecessary and a waste of plastic to spread this on two
CDs.

There is also a version of "Who's Last" called "The Collection Live" issued
by the same American label. This is clearly an example of the record company
trying to squeeze more money out of the artist on a cheap _Product_.
The CD is layouted like a bootleg with a picture of Daltrey from the '60s on
the cover!!! Boycott this one!!!

I also have a bootleg [don't tell anyone though :-) ] of the Who "Live in
Essen". This is also one I'd recommend buying before "Who's Last".

It's been said that the Who burned the bridges to their past by touring like
they did in '82, and putting out an album like "Who's last".

I hate to think that they meant to sell out like they did. That they
were "screwed". Does anybody know?

- Svante