RE: Red type of fluid leaking

Could also be Power Steering fluid if it uses G002000. Pretty sure it does, my 99 Jetta does.

The synthetic Pentosin mineral oil is also red in color, replacing the au natural stuff that was green.

At 11/20/2002 at 09:34, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Simpson, Chuck's keyboard and said:

More than likely, it is G12 coolant.

Things to check:

Check all hoses.
Check radiator.
Check Thermostat housing.

Usually, coolant hoses will violently burst at highway speeds.  My guess is
that the thermostat housing has a crack in it and needs to be replaced.  The
thermo housing is located near the front and above the tranny.  There are
several hoses and three different colored sensors that are plugged into it,
so it should be easy to identify.  Three or four long allen style bolts hold
it in, so removal isn't as bad as it might seem.  If it is in fact the
thermo housing, it is a good time to replace the thermostat itself, since it
sits in the housing.  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dipalma, Tony [mailto:tdipalma@randmcnally.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 8:30 PM
To: 'jettaglx@igtc.com'
Subject: Red type of fluid leaking

I have a 98 Jetta GLX manual transmission with 65k miles and recently
noticed that there is a red type of gritty fluid leaking from the bottom
front of the car. Now, I know its not steering, break/clutch or motor oil so
it has me wondering what the hell it is. Could this be transfer case,
differential or gear box fluid? Is there such a thing in a manual Jetta?
Please advise!

Cheers!