Re: MK IV look light for MK III

I'm actually putting in my Hella Dual Round kit this evening on my A3 Jetta. :-)

I yanked my grill last night and pulled the stock lights to see what I'm going to have to do... it
doesn't look that difficult. The existing harness is a 3-wire connector with a common ground and one
hot each for the low and high beams. The DRLs are just the low beams I think so you shouldn't have
to do anything special in that aspect.

It seems the right headlight needed modification, though since I bought this as a kit, it was done
already. You may need to do some cutting of the molding to get it to squeeze in next to the
radiator.

The grills all mount the same way, so buy whichever you like, and the hood will fill in the rest. Be
careful pulling the grill, as the clips break easily. There are four screws through the top four
clips, and the rest just needs to be carefully worked out. If you don't plan on keeping the grill,
however, just give 'er a good yank :-)

There are four screws each side holding the headlights on. Most light kits bolt straight in no
problem, but if you didn't buy a conversion kit, you may need some extra hardware. The top bolts on
either side of my kit do not mount in the factory light holes. The top outside has an extension
piece that hops up over the frame and bolts to the top, rather than the front. The top inside bolts
into the existing hole but is 1" away from it and required an extension and a 1.5" screw.

As for manufacturers, I have always been a fan of Hella, and I think the smoked MK4 lights should be
in the mid-300 dollar range. Try parts4vws.com, I know they carry them, along with a few nice
grills.

I'll post any additional findings after the kit is installed if you're interested.

Cheers,

# Nathan
1996 Jetta GLX