Re: Having VR6 troubles

Hello Brian,
The first item to get concerning your Jetta's jerky throttle response is
some troubleshooting reference's. Check your local libraries to see if
they carry the Mitchell Repair Manuals. These manuals have
troubleshooting sections that cover problems not detected by the OBD II
diagnostic system in the Jetta. You should also find someone who has a
OBD II tester and see if you have a DTC (fault code) in the memory of
the onboard computer. The Mitchell Manuals have the codes listed along
with steps to follow to isolate the problem. Low speed problems could be
as simple as a fuel filter change or adding fuel injection cleaner to
clean the injectors.
I drive an '98 GLX with 62K miles on it. My check engine light has been
on for about a month now. With the help of a friends OBD II scan tester,
I found out that I have a fault code P1128. The Mitchell Manual told me
this code happens when the engine has a fuel rich condition. The O2
sensor tries to adjust the fuel mixture leaner but reaches a limit and
turns on the check engine light. (This light is also called an MIL,
malfunction indication light). The car drives ok, fuel mileage is ok,
but I have this ck eng light to stare at. I am currently checking the
fuel filter, injectors, and fuel pressure.
One hour of reading will help, even if you don't do the repair yourself.
You will have a basic idea of what is wrong with the car.
If any one else out there has had this fault code (P1128) on their VR6,
let me know what you found. Once I find my problem I will post the
repair.
Trevor
planemech@ameritech.net