Having VR6 troubles

My engine light has been going on and off for a year now.  No big deal.
Recently (past two months) my car likes to buck.  This is in first of second
gear and the pedal barely depressed.  The car will hardly accelerate then all
of a sudden it starts to jerk like I'm pumping the gas quickly.  The whole
time my foot is at the same position on the pedal.  Also does a variation of
this when cruising in 3rd or 4th.  I'll be light on the gas driving normal
and then it starts to coast as if I had taken my foot of the pedal.  When I
go to give it more gas I get this big gunk and I'm back to normal driving.
This gunk or thump always happens when I get off the gas and back on it.  If
I barely touch the throttle I'll either get this bump or nothing.  If I get
nothing I'll press the gas harder and I get a more pronounced gunk.  This
happens when the CE light is on or off.

10 minutes ago did the coil pack test with mist.  I saw no arcing or
sparking. I'm frustrated and about to go to the stealership.  Any one with
similar problems HELP!

Brian
97 GLX  68,000 miles only mod is K&N filter