Lights out?

I know that this list is primarly for discussions about VAG COM but I noticed something screwy about my '98 Jetta GLX.
Sometimes it would go completly dead, nothing lights up, not even the odometer which should display even with the key out of ignition. Now that I think of it, I remember my friend had similar problems with his 97 Jetta, stealership charged him for refurbished computer and I think an alarm controll unit.
I'm not sure what it is but maybe some of you ever had a similar problem and could offer an advice?
Thnak you in advance for any thoughts that you care to share.
Matt Zajac '98 TRed GLX 113k edition