Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V5 #140

Run awaaaayyyeee! :-)

There's a spec on how thin your rotors can be somewhere, but what you're most concerned with is the
lip that's formed around the rim, not necessarily grooves in the rotor itself. There are plenty of
places that have all sorts of rotors for your machine for not much buck. I run slotted Eurosport
rotors that I'm quite happy with, and I hear ATE Powerdiscs are really nice too.

I think you'd probably know if your strut was blown, and my rears at least lasted until 90K without
having any problems... definitely needed replacement by then but no problems. :-) If you are keen on
replacing the struts, it's about a 3-4 hour job all the way 'round, or about 1.5-2 hours up front
only. You'll need an impact wrench and a spring compressor. I did mine a month or two ago so if you
have any questions lemme know.

The front rotor replacement is fairly easy; the hardest part is the damned screw that holds the
rotor on to the hub, which is usually rusted in there. I've heard of many techniques to get around
this, and I'm sure the list can comment on what they've done, but I didn't have the proper tools to
get it off (without destroying something) and had to take it to my mechanic. He had a hell of a time
too: The magnesium chloride they use in Colorado in the winter SUCKS ASS and will instantly rust
anything it touches practically.

Good luck Paul!

# Nathan
1996 GLX

By the by, I tried the www.venommotorsports.com seat bolster bending trick this weekend, and I am
very pleased with the results. Check out his library section of how-to's if you're interested; you
get much better side support.