Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V5 #140

WOW!!!!!!!

I would go directly to that shop, pick up my car, run away and never look back
:)

Paul wrote:

> i dunno, i think i am getting the shaft.  this guy at the shop i took my car
> to, says i need new rotors.  he says they are 1/10 of an inch too thin to be
> resurfaced, i think it is a bunch of crap since there aren't even grooves in
> my rotors.  my brakes never made a squeak either, but i had them checked
> because it has been about 60,000 miles.  they also said that my wheel
> cylinders are leaking in the rear and that i have blown a front strut.  i
> think for sure the strut thing is shit too, because my car sits even and i
> never experience any problems with that side bottoming out or dropping down
> as is common with blown struts.  basically what it comes down to is i was
> told it would cost me over 600 bucks to fix the brakes.  i told them not to
> touch them i would have them done elsewhere.  to top it off the guy told me
> when i picked up my car that i could probably get by by just padding the
> front brakes.  that just made me feel all the more weirded out by this shop
> and the shady cats they have working there.  i am going for a second opinion
> on monday.  if need be how difficult is it to change the front rotors and
> pads.

Changing out the front is a walk in the park; i used to change between my street
pads and my track pads all the time; easy as can be........now the backs are a
different story, and even those aren't too bad.

> it seems it must be pretty straight forward, right?

If I can be of any help, let me know.

chris collier
collier@iglou.com