Re: what's a good Mp3 CD changer?

I thought they folded on account of the project being too bloody expensive... is this not true?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Hudson" <hudson@mbay.net>
To: <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: what's a good Mp3 CD changer?

If price isn't a big issue, http://www.empeg.com/ is the ultimate geek toy.  It's
a removable head unit with a hard drive in it.  You take it out, download songs
from your computer, then put it in the car and go.  No CDs at all.  It's been
discontinued and they're selling off the stock at $699 - $300 below original list.
It runs linux and if you're a hacker type you can get into it and do stuff to it
(best not while driving tho ;-)

If price is an issue, the Aiwa CDC-MP3 is the low-end MP3 head unit on the market.
I have one, and it sounds fine (with a decent amp and factory speakers).  I think
it's going for about $250.  It does support a changer, but the changer will only
play regular CDs, not MP3 CDs.  They have a newer model out with a couple extra
features that I can't remember right now.  The only issue with it is that you have
to be careful how you build the CD... it has trouble with long directory ("album")
names, and won't sort titles properly unless the first characters are numbers.

I got it because it was one of the first available on the market a year ago.  There
are a ton out there now, but I don't know much about them.  One thing you might want
to look for is one that will remember the place in the song when you turn it off.
The aiwa doesn't do this, which is a real pain for 45 minute audio books.

Stefan