Wheel Bearing Hell

Some of you might remember that I asked the list about their experiences
back in 1998, when my left front WB went at 38k.  At that time the
dealership also had to change out the hub because they damaged the original
so badly in getting the old bearing out.

Well here I am 34k later and the SAME left front wheel bearing has gone
again and they are telling me that the hub will again need to be replaced!!

The dealership of course is saying that they are absolutely blameless and
that I should look to VW for redress??

Any similar wheel bearing experiences?  Am I being unreasonable in expecting
more than 34k miles out of a new OEM wheel bearing and hub?

TIA

John Corbs

'95 Jetta GLX