Suspension upgrade opinions?

I'm pondering upgrading my suspension and am interested in opinions and comparisons.

First, I'm thinking of going with Koni struts/shocks and H&R springs. Has anyone on the list used
this setup and how did/do you like it? For those that have ridden on this setup, how does it compare
to other aftermarket setups, particularly Bilsteins (my second choice, so far).

Also, any tips on doing the suspension upgrade myself? How hard is it to acquire the tool that
Bentley recommends for the rear strut towers?

Budget is a concern, so while I do want to hear about the new H&R coilovers and other really nice
setups, I think either Bilsteins or Konis is about as high up the price tree that I can climb :-)

Thanks!!!

# Nathan
1996 GLX VR6
ex-1991 GLI 16V