Re: Welcome back..

At 8:21 PM -0500 1/11/2001, Sean M. Brereton wrote:
>Welcome back Khan and congrats on the new car. I have heard a few people
>say they were disappointed the first time they drove the 1.8T. After all
>the hype in the press they were expecting a top fuel drag car I think.
>However, all the hype is really about how easy it is to tune the engine.
>With a GAIC chip, some variety of K&N intake upgrade and a TT catback, the
>output is really awsome from what I have heard.  Of course, the turbo
>experience is vastly different from the torque of the VR6, but once you get
>used to it, I think you'll love it too. Keep us posted on the upgrades as
>you do them.
>
>Sean
>
>PS-What color did you get??

Thanks. I got the dark blue. I had a green Jetta, and the GF has a
2.0 Silver Jetta, I don't much like Red, Black, or White... I like
the metallic looking blue. :)

As for the interior, I had to settle for beige-- I would have
preferred gray or black (in that order) but oh well. :)

When my dealer suggested I do the chip and exhaust upgrade, I was
shocked to hear that they'd say such a thing for a leased car, but
his exact words were "the only way it'll void your warranty is if it
is shown to be the cause of the problem, and only on that
component!"...

So, I'm looking at upgrades I hadn't considered doing! The chip and
the filter are the obvious performance choices.

The stock "sport" suspension isn't quite as nice as my NeuSpeed
SofSport system I had on my A3 GLX, but then again, I didn't expect
their sport suspension to do much more than stiffen up the ride from
the ludicrously bouncy swaying stock ride. In other words, the
suspension is good enough for me. As a stock option it's a great way
to get a sportier ride with zero loss of ride and height.

I'm still breaking it in, so I haven't yet given the car full
throttle, but since the 1.8T makes it's peak torque at around
1800rpm, it's got some serious get up and go when you're just
cruising along. From a start, it's definitely slower than it's VR6
especially considering its lower weight.

People say there's no replacement for displacement, but I really
really like the 1.8T. I can see why the A4 1.8T is such a popular
engine, especially considering how high you can crank these things
with minimal investment!

-K
--

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax