The Tool

Yes.  You are all correct.  You don't NEED the tool.  Water pumps and a C
Clamp will do it.

HOWEVER, the Tool makes it MUCH easier, and I find that I use it regularly
whenever I work on the brakes of the GLX or my two Audi UrQs.  It makes a
difficult job, requiring three hands, a relative walk in the park.

If you don't work on your car regularly, then I understand that the outlay
may be prohibitive.  The other side of this is that if you don't work on
your car very often, you are probably at least a little mechanically
challenged, and will therefore have even more difficulty with the Clamp &
pumps method.

The other issue, as one of our listers found to his cost, is that you can
destroy the caliper's self adjusting mechanism.  See the warning insert in
Bentley.

At the end of the day its your choice.  You pays your money (or not) and you
takes your chances.

John Corbs