Re: rear rotors and pads

Why use slotted/drilled rotors on the back? Wouldn't the extra braking power require you to re-tweak
your brake balance controller?

----- Original Message -----
From: <TRedGLX@aol.com>
To: <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: rear rotors and pads

In a message dated 09-Feb-01 09:39:27 Central Standard Time, JB8721@aol.com
writes:

<< bringing my '95 jetta glx to have the rear rotors and pads replaced.  got
an estimate of $240 from a local shop i have used b4.  the price seems inline
with the usual overpriced vw repairs, but wanted to be sure i wasn't totally
getting taken.  would do y'all think. >>

I think you should invest the $ you would have given the dealer/mechanic/dolt
(who is sure to find something else to fix as well thereby costing even
more), and buy Zimmerman slotted/drilled rotors and decent pads (VW stock are
very good, but as we all know, dusty as hell) and do it yourself. It's really
VERY easy, me and a friend did his GTI-VR6, all 4 corners, including new rear
bearings and seals, in about 2 hours. I'll be doing the same when I bring my
GLX out in the spring. Just be sure to remove the ABS sensor rings on the
back of the rear rotors, and reinstall them on the new. I kid you not, it's
simple.

Dave

'88 Jetta coupe
'98 JettaGLX