Re: Should I buy a Corrado SLC???

On 4/25/01 3:26 PM, "Bill Hussey" <list_squid@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I try to make it to all of the east coast events every year actually, and
> those that I can't make it to I watch religiously.
>
> Since you know so much about the Speedvision series, then why don't you
> educate the rest of this list on what exactly the weight penalty is for the
> BMWs ... which of course, doesn't count the series rule of adding 50 pounds
> to the winning car to make the next event competitive.  SCCA is getting very
> much like NASCAR, every car is regulated differently to keep the field of
> cars as equal as possible.
>
> Now back to reality, where we were discussing someone buying a track car,
> RWD is so superior it's a joke, I'm sorry you don't like that idea, but
> that's the sad truth.  When was the last time you saw a front-wheel drive
> Lamborghini??  Ferrari??  Porche??  Mercedes??  BMW??  Lotus??
>
> Or how bout the last time you saw a maker's premier sports car in FWD??
> Vette??  Viper??  Supra??  MR-2??  NSX??  S2000??  RX-7??  Miata??  300ZX??
> Should I go on??  I'm not here to bash Jettas, not at all.  They're great
> cars, built well for the price, that are fun to drive.  But I am forced to
> laugh at some of you for the money you are throwing at your cars in an
> attempt to turn them into something they don't have a chance in hell of
> being ... a true sports car.  You can snicker all you want at the fact that
> my Jetta is an automatic, but at least I have the common sense to understand
> that no matter which tranny you put in this car, it's never going to be
> rewarding to drive .. period!   And if you disagree with that, then it just
> shows that you have practically no experience in a real sports car, at least
> not under real performance limits, you most likely RELY on the plowing
> characteristics of the handling to get you out of situations real drivers
> would never have gotten themselves into, and would have no idea how to
> properly drive a sports car should you ever gets your hands on one.
>
> This entire thread started with someone asking about getting a track car ..
> well that's what I put my $0.02 toward .. you don't like what I have to say
> .. delete my emails, that's the beauty of email.  For the past 5 years I've
> been trying to decide which car I wanted.  I knew it had to be RWD, had an
> independent rear suspension, I knew I wanted as close to 50/50 weight
> distribution as possible, I wanted good steering, and good seats with a lot
> of lateral support.  I didn't car about power, or the OEM suspenders as I
> was going to change those out.  I thought about the 240Z, the 300ZX, the
> previous generation MR2, the 318i and a few others I'm sure ... but I didn't
> want to buy used and didn't have the money to buy any of them used.  5 years
> later, I've driven most of them, and the one that's most rewarding .. the
> one that excites me the most and the one I'm most comfortable with at the
> handling limit is the Bimmer.  There are others out there that provide at
> [...]

Heh. I knew I'd get a response out of you :)
Look, I know RWD is really the way to go. I'll probably own another Bimmer
down the road, for the very reasons you stated. I just think the FWD bashing
was a bit excessive. For instance, FWD doesn't necessarily mean unequal
weight distribution. Nor does it always mean the car's gonna plow. And yes,
plowing is bad, but understeer isn't necessarily bad. Many race cars have
some understeer dialed in for certain tracks.
And if FWD is so bad, then why do many teams continue to run FWD cars on the
track? Because, sometimes, FWD can be just as fun, and rewarding. Sure,
you're not gonna see a FWD car win many races, but winning isn't everything,
right? :)

Kevin