RE: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?

A little background here...I used to own an '83 320i, now I own a '97 Jetta
GLX. I've driven the Mk4 Golf/Jetta as well as a '01 323ci convertible.
Taken many rides in various Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, E30, E36, E46, etc etc.

Bill first of all it looks like you are comparing the Mk3 to the E46.
Understandable, since you are moving from one to the other. Of course the
BMW is going to be better. It's also nearly twice the price. I would think
that a Jetta is much better car than a Hyundai Accent. I would also think
that a Porsche 996 Turbo is a much better car than a BMW 3 series. 150%?
200%? Who knows, can't really put a number on things like that. But I will
say that as far as the interior and the sound system, the Mk4 is pretty
darned close in quality to the E46.

Ok let's talk performance. On paper, yes the BMW beats the Jetta in every
category. But why do you keep talking track? Don't get me wrong, I love
racing too. In fact I did some laps in my Jetta at Lime Rock just this past
Friday. But 99.99% of drivers don't go to the track 99.99% of the time. Face
it, production cars are designed for the street, and on the street the
performance margin between the 3 series and the Jetta is negligible. Hell,
even if you do wanna talk track, I bet I can take a Jetta to within a second
or two of a 3 series' lap times. And that sure ain't a 150% difference :)

To me, both the Jetta and the 3 series are good cars for the money. But even
if I had the money I probably wouldn't buy a BMW. Why? Because, like it or
not, most BMW owners *are* snobbish and believe they are better than
everyone else. :P

All that said, my next planned purchase will be a BMW, sort of: a '02 Mini
Cooper S. Let's see you take on that little bugger at the track :)

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue