Re: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?

At 8:12 PM -0400 4/17/01, Bill Hussey wrote:
>I have a '01 325Ci (that's the coupe) on order with a 5 speed, the
>sport package, and a moonroof.  I've test driven the 3 series 4
>times now, the 5 series twice, and the 3 series once.

I assume you meant the 7 series once (at the end of the sentence)...

>When I say the 3 series is lightyears ahead of the Golf/Jetta
>platform, it's an understatement.  I don't know how else to describe
>it, the only thing you can do is go out and drive it.  Do NOT drive
>any model without the sport package.

I'm not going to argue that the Jetta/Golf is equivalent to the 3
series. However, a base level 325i configured to the same trim as a
Jetta Wolfsberg 1.8T is roughly $10,000 more to buy, and roughly $140
more per month to lease. If you don't have the extra $10K, or the
$140/month, then the "light years" the 3 series is ahead of the Golf
Jetta doesn't really matter.

Is the 3 series light years ahead in performance? In gas mileage? In
safety? In the quality of the audio system? Road noise? While the 3
series may be substantially better in a lot of these areas, it's not
"light years" ahead. I'm sorry, I have a hard time beleiving its
anything but an overstatement. If it's light years ahead, please
point out in what areas it so easily surpasses the Jetta, by a factor
of 150%. (after all, it costs 150% as much as a Jetta, so I'd expect
those areas to be substantially better than 150% as good as the Jetta
for it to be even moderatly close to light years). I'm not picking a
nit, as much as to point out how subjective your remarks are.

I generally believe that you get what you pay for (assuming you're a
pretty smart consumer) and that if the Jetta costs $20K, and the 325i
$30K, then my guess is that the 325i is probably closer to 150% as
much "car" as the Jetta is. If this "150%" is "light years" to you,
then we obviously calibrate our gauges differently. ;)
--

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax