Re: Need Jetta Advice

In a message dated 9/25/00 9:23:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
john.gunderson@bannerhealth.com writes:

<< I have fallen in love with the VW Jetta's.  I love that Euro look and the
sportiness.  A friend of mine has a TDI and she let me drive it.  I
immediately fell in love, with the Jetta.

 I've been doing research and learning as much as possible.  I live in South
Dakota and the dealer in Rapid City usually has two or three in stock.  A
couple of weeks ago I was in Denver and the dealer I stopped at had about
forty Jettas.

 Do any of you have any advice?  Anything I should look for?  Any options I
can't live without?  any information would be appreciated!

 How does that rain sensing wiper system work?  Is the sensor in the
windshield?  Does that cost about a million dollars to replace if you get a
rock chip?  >>

The VR6 faithful will have my ass for saying this, but...

<flamesuit>

I'd get the 1.8t over the VR6. It has SO much more tuning potential than our
VR6 does (I do love my VR6, but..) for a MUCH less costly $/HP ratio. And, if
you intend to do any autocrossing, you'll appreciate the fact that the 1.8t
is lighter, and will contribute far less plow than the VR6 car. I've already
decided that my next VW will be a 1.8t something, I'm just that impressed by
it. I've ridden in a 1.8t GTi, chipped, intaked and exhausted, and it's
incredible. Gobs of torque, gobs of power that comes on *rightnow*.

I've also driven the TDi, it's impressive in it's own right. Table-flat
torque band that comes in like 1900 RPM, all the way to redline. Even dogging
it down in 5th, it just won't quit. And the fuel mileage is nothing to be
ashamed of, to be sure....

</flamesuit>

Get the warm-butt package (heated seats). I wish mine had it....

David Steele
1998 JettaGLX TRed
1988 Jetta Coupe Atlas Gray
1987 Jetta Marine Blue